Whew! Sorry I haven’t had a new post this week. Just a crazy time of year, and I had embarked on a delightful upstate tour. Pub dinners with my siblings, holing up and taking a chunk out of my thesis, and a hectic day of work and meetings in Ithaca before hauling back to the District.
Two pieces of REALLY good news, before you get your links. 1: I am going to Wageningen at The Netherlands for a pre-Copenhagen conference for a few days right after Thanksgiving in sunny Florida. 2: I got an early birthday present, and I’m typing on it right now. It is fast and beautiful, slim and sleek, quiet and accented with a citrusy orange. I just love my new laptop. (As you know, I needed one.)
It’s a nose-to-the-grindstone Friday. But first,
No need to reinvent the wheel. During the week, I collect my five favorite articles and then post them Friday. Look for a wide spectrum, and I welcome you to send suggestions.
1. Maybe it’s because in about a month I’m going to be that much closer to my fourth decade, but the longevity articles seem to be catching my eye. Two from the Beeb, on mutant genes and healthy living.
2. Scotch cures what ails you, but keep the dram wee! From my recent favorite, the FM Allen newsletter: Scotch 101, and the Top Five Single Malts.
3. All of us do-gooders with a sense of style knew we were on to something. Vogue features Toms (see #3) plus some other good holiday ideas, which you probably can’t afford if you’re truly with me in this cohort.
4. Not sure about these Copenhagen talks? No one seems to be, but give it a go anyway. Starting a month ago, the events I’ve been attending have featured speakers who have already moved past it and talk about the post-Copenhagen talks, so, Grist, to answer your question, I think, yeah, we might be føcked.
5. To end, a little humor from Ireland at the expense of the French. I’m loving the Irish these days as I just finished the best book yet of the year, written by a tough little Irishwoman…next month, by the way, I’ll list all the books I’ve read this year, and let you know what you must read and what you can use as a doorstop.
Feliz Friday my friends! Enjoy the weekend, enjoy the short work week afterward! Courtney